[Advaita-l] Kaalaagni rudropanishat cited by Narayanashrama 13 CE

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 14:56:28 EDT 2018

Kaalaagni rudropanishat cited by Narayanashrama 13 CE

Sri Narayanashrama, an Advaita Acharya of the 13 CE who has penned
'Deepika-s' for several Upanishads, in his commentary to the Atharva Shikha
Upanishad, in the context of Pranava dhyana, names the Kaalaagni
Rudropanishat:

अत एव कालाग्निरुद्रोपनिषदि महेश्वरसदाशिवशिवाः शैवं प्रति प्रणववर्णत्रयदेवाः
उक्ताः |

The  Kalagnirudropanishat
https://sanskritdocuments.org/doc_upanishhat/kaalaagni.html?lang=sa
 contains the names 'maheshvara and sadashiva and mahadeva'.  It does
mention a,u and ma (of the Pranava).  The  Upanishat deals  with bhasma
dharana vidhi and the fruit of practicing it as even moksha. In the means
to the vedic donning of the tripundra, the upanishad also introduces the a,
u, ma contemplation. We have Upanishad Brahma Yogin's commentary to this
Upanishad, which is a part of the 108 named in the Muktikopanishat.

Thus, we have a very ancient Acharya, of the 13 CE, mentioning the
Kalagnirudropanishat.

Om Tat Sat