[Advaita-l] Interesting article on Kali

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 12:14:37 EDT 2018

There are plenty of Black Madonna statues in Churches in Europe, many being
vestiges of the pre-Christian European religion.

The Roma or Romani are popularly called gypsies and migrated from India in
the 11th century CE. They were to.be found more in Eastern Europe but are
more widely dispersed now.  Their particular Black Madonna in France is
called Kali Sara by them.

Quote:
Black Virgins are worshipped by Roma in central/eastern Europe and that
Roma from these countries perform similar rituals. These rituals include
laying flowers at the feet of the statue, adorning the statue with clothing
of the sick hoping for cures, placing requests to the statue, and lighting
candles to the female divinity. To the Roma, *Kali Sara* is the Protectress
who will cure sickness, bring good luck and fertility and grant success in
business ventures.
The Romani ceremony at Les Saintes Maries, as elsewhere, consists of
carrying the statue on a platform strewn with flowers (4) into the closest
body of water such as a sea, lake, flowing river or even a large pond of
clear water. The platform is then lowered to touch the water.

End of quote.

This is remarkably similar to the Durga Pooja ritual to the Mother Goddess
in Indian worship.

On Tue 11 Sep, 2018, 8:54 PM kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l, <