[Advaita-l] Sukhasana question

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 01:44:45 EDT 2018

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 10:27 AM Sanju Nath via Advaita-l <

> May I ask why is it not acceptable to change the leg position slightly at
> the onset of numbness to avoid numbness and then continue unhindered for
> longer time?  Is it because the temporary break in one pointed attention
> should be avoided?  But then being even slightly aware of the numbness
> distracts too.
>
> I’ve heard that people who have difficulty sitting on the floor can
> meditate sitting on a chair with back straight or even those with back
> problems - especially in old age - can sit with soft wall cushion, since it
> is not possible to sit upright.

The requirement of 'sthira-sukham-aasanam' allows for a convenient,
comfortable seating that is 'sthira', firm, in the sense, not shaky, and at
the same time painless for the person sitting.  When one becomes old, due
to age, age related ailments, and even young persons who have suffered an
accident/fracture, etc. sit in a chair and still have achieved good level
of meditation.

Even in a seated, that is squatting, position, over a period of time a
person learns the best posture suited for him.

regards
subrahmanian.v