[Advaita-l] Who is 'Lohitaksha' in the VSN according to Shankara?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 23:12:33 EDT 2018

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 5:16 AM Dr. Yadu Moharir <ymoharir at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Namaste Subbu-ji,
>
> Can you share your thoughts why would someone would desire for a 'LohitaakSha'
> progeny ?
>
> Was there a specific backdrop in Brihadaranyaka Upanishat for the
> statement ?

Dear Yadu ji,

Your question, though interesting, is beyond my ken to answer. The context
in the Upanishad is: If a person desires to have an  offspring with
particular attributes, one has to consume a certain type of cooked food.
Either in the commentary of Shankara or the gloss of Anandagiri do we find
the explanation for the red-eyed offspring, or a tawny-colored offspring,
etc.

The reference number given by me is to be read as: 6.4.16.

regards
subbu