[Advaita-l] Ativyaapti, Avyaapti and Asambhava - easily grasped

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 07:52:08 EDT 2018

Here is a simple explanation of the nirduShTa lakShaNa:

http://sivanandaonline.org/public_html/?cmd=displaysection&section_id=813

In order to understand an object thoroughly in this world, there are three
tests or means viz., by approximation, by its characteristics, and by an
enquiry into its characteristics. by the first means we know only the name
of the object sought to be known; by the second we understand its real
nature; and by the third we enquire into such characteristics. According to
the second test, the characteristics of an object should not be subject to
the faults of Avyapti (non-inclusion or exclusion of part of a thing
defined,) Adhivyapti (redundancy) and Asambhava (impossibility) and should
thus not be found in another.

Avyapti arises when the characteristics are found in one part of a class
only and not in the rest. For example, the cow is of a tawny colour. Here
the object cow is subject to the fault of Avyapti, as the tawny colour is
an attribute of one class of cows only and not of the whole class. Hence,
cow cannot be properly known through this description of it alone.

Athivyapti arises when the characteristics pointed out are found in (or are
common to) other objects also. For instance, the cows are four-legged. Here
not only cows but also other animals have four legs. Hence redundancy.

Asambhava is where the characteristics given out are not at all found in
the object stated. For instance, the cow is one-hoofed. All cows have two
hoofs and not one. Hence impossibility.

That which is not subject to these stains has not the properties that are
found in or common to another. For instance, a cow has the characteristics
of neck, dewlap, back and hump. Here these characteristics are found in the
bovine genus only.