[Advaita-l] a mumukshu and a deluded at pralaya

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Oct 5 06:20:49 EDT 2018

praNAms Sri ChandramouLi prabhuji
Hare Krishna

The concept of “ sarvamukti “ was advanced by Sri Appayya Dikshita in  his work Sidhantaleshasamgraha.

>  I am not too familiar with this work except some scattered reading.  If I am right this work is a 'collection' of various seemingly different viewpoints with regard to siddhAnta within Advaita tradition and Sri Appayya Deekshitaru (AD) tried to present it and reconcile with mUlabhAshya.  In this work has be propagated his own viewpoints as well prabhuji??  Is the 'sarvamukti' is his own contribution ?? pls. clarify.

This doctrine holds that on attainment  of Knowledge, the particular Jiva attains oneness not with the  Absolute Intelligence, but only with the less perfect form known as  Isvara, whose reflections in Avidya/Maya are the many Jivas.

>  So no concept of paramArtha jnana or absolute jnana in this scheme of things??  What type of knowledge one would get when he realizes the mahAvAkya jnana like 'tattvamasi' ?? is it parOksha or aparOksha jnana like ahaM brahmAsmi??  Any clarification with regard to this in that work ??

 So long  as there is a single unreleased Jiva, avidya is not completely  destroyed and there can be no absolute release for any Jiva.

>  why one jeeva has to suffer will not get absolute release even though he attains paramArtha jnana ??  Why one has to remain unreleased for the sake of another jeeva??  any justification for this ??

Only  after all the Jivas attain release such complete destruction of avidya  is possible, and only then there is no more distinction of Jiva and  Isvara, which assures final realization of oneness with the Absolute for all the Jivas simultaneously.

>  I am really lost here !!??  Suppose a jeeva got the knowledge of absolute in the pArthivakalpa has to wait all kalpa-s (sapta kalpa-s) and cycle of multiple kalpa-s till all the possible existing jeeva-s get that knowledge to get the realization simultaneously ??  To put it in a simple way, if the 'X' jeeva completes the graduation and gets the knowledge in BC era has to wait till the completion of graduation of all the students of all the era to get the degree certificate simultaneously??  In that case, the last one who gets the degree is the luckiest one as he gets the certificate immediately and the 'durdaivi' (most unluckiest person) is the first one!! :-)  I don’t think above viewpoint of Sri AD advocating the ridiculous scenario like this.  Please elaborate.

Sri Appayya Dikshita maintains that this doctrine is not an invention of his own, but is  supported by several  passages from the Bhashya of Sri Bhagavatpada  himself.  For details  reference could be made to  chapter IV of his work (English translation by Sri Prof Suryanarayana Shastri is available).

> If possible kindly provide those references.  Is this book available in Bengaluru shankara mutt??  Would definitely like to have it.

As per my understanding this has its root in Bhamati, and is not  accepted by the majority of advaitins.

>  Ofcourse, notorious fight between bhAmati and vivaraNa not new to Advaita tradition.  But this  one is something strange.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar