[Advaita-l] Why scripture talks of creation?

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Fri Oct 5 04:25:15 EDT 2018

Since you have presented it as from Sri HH, I have tried to align my understanding of the Sidhanta in line with this. But I must confess I  have been unable to do so.

praNAms Sri ChandramouLi prabhuji
Hare Krishna

I am just curious to know which part of the statement of HH that you are not able to align with  your understanding of the siddhAnta.  Is it striking the similarity between dream and waking or with regard to creation??  Ofcourse one is avasthAtraya prakriya and another one if srushti / kArya-kAraNa prakriya.  When it comes to srushti, as Sri Kathirasan prabhuji mentioned bhAshyakAra clarifies : the srushti in various orders mentioned in shruti is only a upAya for the purpose of directing the mind to the 'satya' there is no diversity on any account.  Even though we are seeing waves, bubbles, foam etc. in the sAgara it is nothing but water coz. the svarUpa of these diversities  / varieties nothing but water and it is only water (sarvataH samplutOdakaM)..when someone talks elaborately about waves, foam and bubbles the ultimate intention is to drive home the point that these are all nothing but water.  Likewise when shruti talks about creation and its order differently at different places the purpose is to point out the svarUpa of this creation / jagat i.e. brahman, the secondless truth only.  In the kAraNatvAdhikaraNa (first adhyAya, fourth pAda in sUtra) bhAshyakAra concludes all these details of creation etc. is intended to teach the non-difference of the effect from the cause by means of the illustrations of clay etc. It has to be like this coz. from attaining the jnana with regard to srushti we achieve nothing hence there is 'vigAna' in the order of srushti (though there is no mismatch ) there is an unanimous declaration that for this 'vigAna' kArya brahman is the sole entity as kAraNa.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar