[Advaita-l] 2 questions

jayakumar saipadukajk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 00:41:04 EST 2018

Dear Sri Umesh,
Namaste. Your two questions are answered below very briefly as well as elaborately with the science, logic, cognitive understanding and enjoying the benefits through shifting 'my' identity and not through experience of Consciousness.
Brief answers :
1. How am I different from my body and senses experientially? Answer : You are experiencing your body and sense and their perceptions only because, you are the Consciousness.
2. How do I know my consciousness is the same as universal consciousness? Answer : Because, you are in the Consciousness which is a single 'entity' of a higher order of reality close to deep sleep. Deep sleep is identical universally.

Elaborate answer :
The Great Indian Spiritual Wisdom and its benefits  supported by  Science and Logic.
1. We know that there are lot of co-ordinations and interactions among various complex faculties  that function in unison in the inner instrument of a human being before the person concludes or decides and responds  to the external and / or internal stimuli on any matter other than  involuntary and reflex actions. Some of the factors that are in one’s mind are instincts, psychic impressions, traits or attitude, habitual thoughts, memory, judgmental ability, freewill and so on and the response varies from person to person.  From the outcome or the response, we know that these faculties do not act independently. All these complex faculties interact among themselves and so  there must be a common ‘sentient medium (sensitive and response activating  ‘platform’) for co-ordinating among themself. This common ‘sentient’ medium is  the Consciousness or ‘inner-awareness’.
2. Further, various types of feelings born of  ‘Awareness’  based on  the ‘I’ thought is the most predominant and obvious thought in every  living being, effortlessly arises in the active mind. This ‘phenomenon’  pre-supposes this inner ‘Awareness’ or Consciousness.
3. As of today, no scientific or technological experiment has proved the possibility of any fine chemical combination or any non-living assembly with suitable configuration having the part, property or product ,of  any type of feeling or for that matter, the fundamental principle of awareness or Consciousness.
4. When the matter constituents in any combination cannot possess ‘Awareness’ and the living beings obviously and effortlessly possesses awareness, the only possibility or conclusion is that the living beings are present in this ‘Awareness’ and not vice versa which is already proved impossible scientifically and logically in the above points. This is just like everything in the universe is present in the  ‘space’. Space accommodates everything, space is not displaced by anything and also it is in and through everything. The extended understanding of this fact is that space and time are in this ‘Awareness’.
5. Medical science or neurology accepts this unique property of inner-awareness and it thinks that it is the property of neurons and calls this as  ‘Reflex Awareness’ though not proved by medical or scientific experiments themself. Medical science thinks that Because of  this ‘reflex awareness only self-awareness or ‘I’ thought  arises and  remains always  in the active mind. However, it has no answer  for the various faculties interacting among themselves and  react  with programmed and un-programmed responses. Spiritual science proves this ‘reflex awareness’ is not the property of the neurons and it is the manifestation of an independent entity and also accounts for all the subtle actions of the inner instrument as discussed in the above points.
6. The most sophisticated gadget or robots  or the latest instrument or any space satellite respond only if they are pre-programmed by  scientists and do not respond with un-programmed responses. Obviously anything how much ever sophisticated cannot respond like a living being though they may perform  some actions in a better or faster manner. Also, the unique property of self-awareness of the living being is exclusively because of the ‘Consciousness or Awareness’  in  which the living beings that include brain-cells or neurons  are present. However, they  function in their own or specific  manner determined by the   constituents  and configuration of the later.
 7. Since we concluded that the unique ‘awareness’ principle cannot be a property or part or product of brain cells and it is present without any doubt in living beings, the only ‘logical possibility is that   the awareness manifests or expresses in the brain cells just like mirror or polished objects reflect light.
8. To understand this ‘phenomenon’, take a cloth in various parts of a lighted room. The cloth will be seen because of the light and this we technically describe that light is expressed or manifests on the cloth because THE CLOTH IS IN THE LIGHT. Also, we know that the cloth doesn’t possess light and also cannot  reveal itself in a dark room.
  9. Since the living beings  possess awareness wherever they go i.e., in all the places, the living beings are present IN the
Consciousness or AWARENESS which is everywhere. Non-living beings are also present in this awareness but, they do not express awareness because of the non-suitable constitution and configuration and so these are called inert things.
10. Also, this ‘Awareness’ is self-revealing or self-evident like a glowing bulb or Sun  as revealed by the presence of ‘I’ thought in living beings. Thus, the nature, doubtless presence of ‘Awareness’ and the all-pervading nature of Consciousness or the ‘Awareness’ are explained logically. These conclusions are not provable because of the   unique nature of the Consciousness or ‘Awareness’. This ‘Awareness’  is of a higher reality compared to the lower reality of all the tangible or perceivable things in the universe and their functions which includes thinking abilities of living beings. For example, ‘bed-room space’ is of a higher reality compared to ‘dream space’, space inside a mirror-block is of a lower reality compared to the hall-space in which the mirror-block is kept in the center. it is for good if the Truth is accepted cognitively as everyone accepts ‘deep sleep’ and the once upon existed ‘great great great….. grand-parents as both of them are not provable.
11. anyone who get convinced of this ‘Truth’ is an intelligent person and who claims or owns up this awareness as himself or herself is a wise person and freed from all struggles. This is because the ‘Awareness’ is not affected by the changes happening in the mind or body.
12. anyone who get convinced of this ‘Truth and  claims the ‘Consciousness or Awareness’ as one’s true or original nature  ‘enjoys’ completeness because ‘Awareness’ is all-pervading or better understood as ‘infinite’. Since the ‘Awareness’ is of the higher reality, the wise person is not connected with the notions of ‘doership and ‘experiencership’ and so freed from the ‘karma cycle’ and  so does not have re-birth. ’

This is the essence of the ‘Great Indian Spiritual Wisdom’ and for understanding this precious secret of subtle truth of life, the understanding faculty or the mind should also be subtle and should have the prescribed pre-requisites or qualifications.

Regards,
S K Jayakumar
Any clarification can be discussed over phone for the reason that I am visually challenged.
LL : 080 40905873; Mobile : 9916494729.

1. How am I different from my body and senses experientially?
2. How do I know my consciousness is the same as universal consciousness?

Can the learned members enlighten me without quoting any scriptures or persons?

I have read many books on Advaita. But trying to figure out with myself.But could not.

Regards,

Sent from my iPad