[Advaita-l] The Foundations of Adhyāsa - 8 (The Three States) -Mixing of Reference states

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 02:18:58 EST 2018

Pranams Sri Sadananda Ji,

Just sharing my understanding on some of the points.

Just a preamble. No doubt, jnAna is attained only through the mind. The
result is that identification of the ‘ I ’ sense with the BMI is weakened
greatly in the waking state. This is because there is an undertone of the “
Knowledge “ gained which is never forgotten, but its full effect is
camaflouged by the force of residual vAsanAs and prArabdha which come to
the fore. Hence the waking experience continues even for the jnAni but with
a weakened identification with the BMI.  For an ajnAni , the identification
of  the ‘ I ‘ sense with the BMI is very strong in the waking state.

In the dream state, this identification is weak both for a jnAni as well as
for an ajnAni. Even so, the strength of such weak identification could be
very different for the two.

In sushupti, this identification is absent for both. But the mind is
resolved and is unmanifest.

These three states of  experience are available for both.

However there is a fourth state of experience available for the jnAni
alone. And in this state also, there is no identification with BMI. But the
mind is not resolved and the experience is through the mind only. It is in
this state that Brahman is “ experienced “ by the jnAni in its aspect of
and as Ananda.

With this background, some observations on the points made in your post.

Points 9,10 and 11 refer to the waking state. But point 8 is a mix up of
states.

<<  8. The realization involves clear and abiding knowledge (jnaana nishTa)
in the mind only that ‘I am not this BMI, but I am that totality that
includes this BMI and the world, and in the process Iswara also. >>,

jnAna nishTa refers to fourth state in which there is no knowledge of the
form  ‘I am not this BMI, but I am that totality that includes this BMI and
the world, and in the process Iswara also’, there is ONLY  Ananda. Leaving
out  jnAnanishTa, rest of the statement pertains to waking state.

Reg  << 13. Does the jnaani while dreaming has the knowledge of his true
state? – Now – The discussion seems to shift from one reference to other.
>From the point of jnaanam, that question is irrelevant since there are no
dream states to answer – ekam eva adviteeyam. We can only answer from the
BMI reference. >>,

There is no change in reference. Even in the waking state, jnAni is not
aware of his status as a jnAni during vyavahAra. He does have a weak
identification with the BMI. So is the case during dream state.

All other points need to be addressed with reference to this strength of
identification with the BMI.

Pranams and Regards

<https://www.avast.com/en-in/recommend?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=default3&tag=c38b8036-11b2-4cda-8073-9f1b65c98183>
I’m
protected online with Avast Free Antivirus. Get it here — it’s free forever.
<https://www.avast.com/en-in/recommend?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=default3&tag=c38b8036-11b2-4cda-8073-9f1b65c98183>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 8:53 AM kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l <