[Advaita-l] The Foundations of Adhyāsa - 8 (The Three States)

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 03:22:34 EST 2018

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 12:46 PM H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 11:26 PM V Subrahmanian <v.subrahmanian at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> << Since the realization 'I am all', sarvoham' arises ONLY by the
> falsification of the objective world, mithyatva nishchaya', the above
> Mantra and Bhashya is the proof of the Jnani relizing even in dream that
> the world is mithya. >>.
>
> I am not so sure. I think what the mantra and bhashya are stating is that
> in the dream state also, the jnAni dreams that he is a jnAni and not that
> he is being chased by elephants etc which the ajnAnIs normally dream. The
> mantra and bhashya do not state that the jnAni is aware of the dream to be
> unreal when he is in the dream state.

Actually, as an afterthought, it occurred to me that the above
understanding could arise from my post. I did not imply that the Jnani will
be aware of the dream 'as dream' as contrasted from waking. We do encounter
Jnanis also talking of their dream experiences. What is taught in the
Bhashya is that the Jnani will continue to experience his sarvatmabhava in
the dream too.  This happens only on 'baadhaayaam saamaanaadhikaranyam'.
This implies that, as in the waking, that he perceives the dream
objects/events even while in the dream, as unreal, as he would do in the
waking.

Says Shankara  in the Manisha panchakam:

 ब्रह्मैवाहमिदं जगच्च सकलं चिन्मात्रविस्तारितं सर्वं चैतदविद्यया
त्रिगुणयाशेषं मया कल्पितम् ।
इत्थं यस्य दृढा मतिः सुखतरे नित्ये परे निर्मले चण्डालोस्तु स तु द्विजोस्तु
गुरुरित्येषा मनीषा मम॥

vs