[Advaita-l] The Foundations of Adhyāsa - 8 (The Three States)

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 00:49:59 EST 2018

Chandramouli, Here is my understanding.
Your question in a way is valid. In describing tureeyam - the upanishad says in the end - ... sa vijneyaH. That has to be enquired. Who is enquirer and who realizes the tureeyam? if that is the question - we are back to the mind only. mana eva manushyaanaam... emphasizes that. Inquiry can only be done by the confused mind which is looking for an answer. Description of the tureeyam is for the mind to grasp that which cannot be objectified. The enlivened mind (with chidaabhaasa) has to uplift itself to see that which is indicated by the mantra - hence - sa vijneyaH - is there in the end. In essence, Jeeva has to use the mind to understand I am that tureeyam and not this mind - and that understanding has to be done using the mind only.  That is the subtle part as well as the difficult part too.
Hari Om!Sadananda

   On Friday, November 16, 2018, 10:34:22 AM GMT+5:30, H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 > Namaste Sri Kartik Ji,
>
> My query really did not stress on whether Turiya is the Fourth state or
> not. It related to who “ rests in the Fourth state called Turiya “ as
> stated in your first post. This doubt is now reinforced by the following
> observation in your response
>
> << Thus in the Turiya state, ONLY THE INFINITE SELF EXISTS - there is
> literally nothing else.
> There is no "entering in and out of" any of the Three States. In fact, the
> Three States
> cease to exist when one realizes the Turiya state >>.
>
> I did not find the answer in your response.
>

> Anytime you feel I am unnecessarily harping on nonissues, please feel free
> to say so and terminate the discussion. No hard feelings. I am only trying
> to firmup my understanding of the Sidhanta. If incidentally it helps anyone
> else it is a bonus.
>
> Regards

<https://www.avast.com/en-in/recommend?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=default3&tag=c38b8036-11b2-4cda-8073-9f1b65c98183>
I’m
protected online with Avast Free Antivirus. Get it here — it’s free forever.
<https://www.avast.com/en-in/recommend?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=default3&tag=c38b8036-11b2-4cda-8073-9f1b65c98183>
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>