[Advaita-l] Advaitic realization expressed in the Vishnu purana

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 01:29:43 EST 2018

Advaitic realization expressed in the Vishnu purana

The Vishnu Purana gives expression to the liberating realization of 'I am
Brahman and all this is Brahman alone.':

अहं हरिः सर्वमिदं जनार्दनो नान्यत्ततः कारणकार्यजातम्  ।

ईदृङ्मनो यस्य न तस्य भूयो भवोद्भावा द्वन्द्वगदा भवन्ति  ॥ 1,22,86 ॥

I am Hari. All that I behold is Janárddana; cause and effect are from none
other than him. The man who knows these truths shall never again experience
the afflictions of worldly existence.

Shankara has cited a similar verse in the Vishnu Sahasranama bhashyam:

 *सकलमिदमहं च* *वासुदेवः* *परमपुमान्*परमेश्वरः स एकः ।

इति मतिरचला भवत्यनन्ते हृदयगते व्रज तान्विहाय दूरात् ॥ विष्णुपुराणम् 3.7.32

Yama instructs his attendants:

Do you proceed afar off from those in whose hearts Ananta is enshrined;
from him whose sanctified understanding conceives the Paramapurusha and
ruler, Vásudeva, as one with his votary, and with all this world.

Advaita Acharyas do not need to add anything in explanation to such verses;
it is only others that are compelled to write much in explanation denying
the obvious meaning these verses convey.

Om Tat Sat

subrahmanian.v