[Advaita-l] Gita 13.20 question

Jay Kumar saipadukajk at gmail.com
Wed May 30 05:25:15 EDT 2018

Namaste to all.

The  fact discussed below, quoting Gita 13.20 can be explained with the following common phenomenon:

If there is a clean and  small mirror in a well-lighted room, there will be a distinguishable flash towards one direction from the mirror. We will be prompted by the ‘flash light’ though the ‘essential’ light is all over the room. We will glorify the shining mirror. Also sometime, some flying insects attracted by the flash-light try to hit and stink the mirror. Who is the experiencer in both these cases? Mirror or Light? , it is the mirror only, but we know only in the presence of the light, mirror ‘experiences’ the appreciation as well as the stinks. Is the light affected in any way? In fact, because of the light only, glorification and stinking happen and light is only glorified and ‘stinked’ (as the essential cause) still, light is unaffected, isn’t it? Similarly, remaining unaffected, ‘purusha’ is only everything and that ‘purusha’ is none other than  ‘You’ or ‘I’ or the questioner of this posting! In other words,  ‘Tat tvam asi’ or ‘Aham Bhramma asmi’.

Just like the light and the mirror, ‘Satyam’ or ‘purusha’  is  of higher or absolute reality or ‘paramartikam’ and ‘mitya or ‘jiva’ is of a lower or empirical or objective reality or ‘vyyavakarikam’ respectively. This is one of the reason for the difficulty in comprehending the reality.  Thus, though the ‘jiva’ appears to be the locus of different types of experiences, the real cause of this experience is the presence of the single, sentient ‘all pervading’ (of higher reality) ‘ Satyam’ or ‘purusha’ only.

Note : the example of light, mirror and the flash light should not be extended beyond the above contest. More discussions on my posting can be had through    my mobile because of my typing limitations.

Regards,
S K Jayakumar