[Advaita-l] In praise of ISKCON?!

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Fri May 18 02:50:14 EDT 2018

Pranams Shri Bhaskar Prabhu ji,

Not just ISKCONites but some Gaudiya-s too. I had discussion with him. He
doesn't like ISKCON's way of preaching. He said, you advaitins out-rightly
reject Krishna's form as illusion and mithyA. I asked him have you read
Sankara Bhashya? He said no. Then I quoted some sloka-s randomly from Gita
Bhashya. Finally, I said if veda-s are an authority for Advaitin, if Gita
is an essence of vedanta, then how can Krishna be Illusion. He could not
reply. Then I said, we accept even jivahood, but only in aJYAna (as said in
chandogya upanishad Bhashya 6.5.xx or maybe 7.1.xx while explaining food
being divided into 3 parts - gross, medium and sutble). He then said, - ok,
but you consider form of God as inferior. I simply replied, that is
different from 'out-rightly rejecting a form and calling it as an
illusion'. Also know that we do revere forms of God as they are inseparable
from Brahman, however, we do not consider it as last step. Last step is to
completely loose one's identity. Whatever exists is Brahman only. So
NirguNa, nikArAkAra Brahman is our ultimate goal. Even Yoga is practised by
many advaitins, infact yoga and advaita used to go hand in hand. We see it
in daily prANAyama practice that Brahmins do like anuloma viloma. Bhakti is
the foundation of any spiritual practice. Without faith, everything is
mechanical.

Secondly, they think at Adi Sankara, during his last days realised that his
philosophy was incomplete so he composed bhaja Govindam. I had to correct
him on that too. Thirs, I explained to him that many things are said which
are applicable to jIva ShriSthTi i.e. individual consciousness and not
collective consciousness. I said, during meditation, negate samsAra that is
in our mind and perception will change. Atleast go to this level, even
bhakti needs change in perception of samsAra. It is transient and misery.
In samAdhi, samsAra is not destroyed, it is negated.

Hare Krishna
Sujal

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 9:24 AM, Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l <