[Advaita-l] source of a sloka or quotation

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed May 9 22:41:17 EDT 2018

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 11:44 AM, Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Subbu ji , Durga ji
> It's interesting to see it figure in Chanakya Neeti. Is there any material
> about moxa puruShArtha in this work?

Dear Raghav ji,

I have looked into the Chanakya neeti chapters and did not find any
specific sadhana, etc. for Moksha Purushartha excepting the following,
which I had posted in an earlier thread:

Chanakya 4 BCE, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanakya#cite_note-
Miles1981-47, in his 'Chanakya Neeti', says this in the very first verse of
the 15th chapter:

यस्य चित्तं द्रवीभूतं कृपया सर्वजन्तुषु l
तस्य ज्ञानेन मोक्षेण किं जटाभस्मलेपनैः ll – चाणक्य नीति

He whose heart melts and liquefies in compassion for all beings, for him,
what have matted hair and application of ashes, got to do with knowledge
and liberation?

The above reveals that even before two millennia there was the practice of '
bhasma lepanam' by those aspiring for Jnana, and through that, Moksha.

See image of the verse and Hindi commentary here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2047616018585082&set=a.
697484646931566.1073741827.100000101118270&type=3&theater

The portion 'yatra yatra mano yaati...' that is seen in later works like
Drg drsya viveka, etc. looks like a very early one, perhaps from an
Upanishad, but the earliest definite citation or usage seems to be the
Chanakya Neeti, admitted to be of the 4 BCE.

regards
subbu