[Advaita-l] Sleep, tamas and brahman

Kalyan kalyan_kg at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 07:57:21 EDT 2018

Sri Venkatraghavanji

I am referring to the fact that Sruti calls the deep sleep self as advaitam. (Incidentally, for the Mandukya, turiya is advaitam). Deep sleep self cannot be advaitam if there is ignorance in that state.

We also have emphatic statements like -

तत्र च सर्वात्मभावः स्वभावोऽस्य, एवम् ***अविद्याकामकर्मादिसर्वसंसारधर्मसम्बन्धातीतं रूपमस्य, साक्षात् सुषुप्ते गृह्यते***

//It has also been stated that identity with all, which is its nature, its transcendent form, in which it is free from all relative attributes as ignorance, desire and work, is directly experienced in the state of profound sleep//

This is the most direct statement denying ignorance in deep sleep. If this does not convince one, then nothing will.

I thank you for this discussion.

Regards
Kalyan