[Advaita-l] Sleep, tamas and brahman

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 06:33:03 EDT 2018

Ryan - PraNAms
Just some clarification.
tureeyam is not really the fourth -
The Mandukya manthra 7 actually says - caturtam manyante - sa aatmaa - sa vijneyaH. It is CALLED as the fourth therefore it is not really the fourth as there is no fourth. It is the self only - sa aatmaa, and that has to realized -sa vijneyaH. The rest of the manthra provides what it is and how to enquire.
It is called the fourth only because it is not the three states; yet is not the fourth since it pervades all the three and appears to be different from the three- from which they arise, sustain and go back into.
The rest of the mantra points out for inquiry what it is and in essence how to realize or recognize too - as it says - it is shantam, shivam, advaitam -ekaatma pratyayasaaram, prapanchopashamam, adRiShTam, avyavahaaryam, etc.
Realization of tureeyam is only knowing who am I, what is this world and how am I related to the world -all the nine yards - tat tvam asi of the Chandoya Up.
Hari Om!Sadananda