[Advaita-l] Sleep, tamas and brahman

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Thu May 3 14:36:05 EDT 2018

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 5:15 PM, Kalyan <kalyan_kg at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think you did not get my point - If no adjective is used ***even at one
> place***, then logic demands that there is unqualified rejection of
> ignorance in deep sleep. There is no adjective used at 4.3,34, so it proves
> my point.

Actually the logic works the other way. Even if something is not mentioned
in one or some places and mentioned in other places, logic demands that it
has to be supplied where it is absent.  This is called 'atidesha'.  One
example is: the Chandogya 6th chapter mentions creation of only the last
three elements while the Taittiriya mentions creation of all five elements.
This apparent dichotomy is discussed and settled by supplying the
unmentioned two elements and thereby evening out the dichotomy.  So too
where the explicit mention of the presence of avidya is not encountered,
one has to supply it on the strength of its specific mention in other
places. That is the method of samanvaya of all Vedanta passages without
contradiction. Rejection of avidya is illogical and unscriptural. The
adhyaropa of avidya is with a purpose. It cannot be wished away. Its
apavaada has to be done methodically and not whimsically. Its mention alone
is in accordance with logic and scripture. This is how it has to be seen.
So, your point is not proven.