[Advaita-l] Sleep, tamas and brahman

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Thu May 3 12:29:32 EDT 2018

​Namaste Subbuji​,

Thanks for quoting the bhAShya. This is the bhAShya I'd mentioned few days
back. I usually assume that people who have real interest look up the
bhAShya referenced! Moreover, one need not even go as far as the bhAShya,
because Mandukya mantras put it very simply as prAjna (one identified with
the deep sleep state) is Ishvara and there is a turIya beyond this. Now, in
the orthodox tradition, there is no difference made between avidyA and
mAyA, which is the equation at prAjna. Ergo its clear that one is merged in
saguNa brahma = nirguNa brahma with avidyA/ mAyA.

I'd also mentioned Chandogya 6th chapter, but that has fallen on deaf ears
too. So I shall quote the same for the benefit of others who may get driven
away by erroneous misinterpretations of mantras, bhAShyas and even TIkAs.
Under Ch. 6.8.1, Bhashyakara says यदा स्वपितीत्युच्यते पुरुषः, तदा
तस्मिन्काले सता सच्छब्दवाच्यया प्रकृतया देवतया संपन्नो भवति संगतः एकीभूतो
भवति। Who is this सद्देवता? We will find this questioned elsewhere as we
shall see at the end of this post. Further, 6.8.2 mantra says about the
jIva in deep-sleep so: अन्यत्रायतनम् अलब्ध्वा प्राणमेवोपश्रयते, प्राणबन्धनं
हि सोम्य मनः। What is this प्राण now where the deep-sleeper merges into? Is
this सगुण or निर्गुण ब्रह्म? This is clarified under another Upanishad,
Mandukya Karika 1.2 (due to एकवाक्यता of all Upanishads) while analysing
the unmanifest state in deep sleep as referred by the word प्राण।

(सिद्धान्ती)  ‘प्राणबन्धनं हि सोम्य मनः’ (छा. उ. ६-८-२) इति श्रुतेः ।

(पूर्वपक्षी)  ननु, तत्र ‘सदेव सोम्य’ (छा. उ. ६-२-१) इति प्रकृतं सद्ब्रह्म
प्राणशब्दवाच्यम् ;

(सिद्धान्ती) नैष दोषः, *बीजात्मकत्वाभ्युपगमात्सतः* । यद्यपि सद्ब्रह्म
प्राणशब्दवाच्यं तत्र, तथापि जीवप्रसवबीजात्मकत्वमपरित्यज्यैव प्राणशब्दत्वं
सतः सच्छब्दवाच्यता च । यदि हि निर्बीजरूपं विवक्षितं ब्रह्माभविष्यत्, ‘नेति
नेति’ (बृ. उ. ४-५-३) ‘यतो वाचो निवर्तन्ते’ (तै. उ. २-९-१) ‘अन्यदेव
तद्विदितादथो अविदितादधि’ (के. उ. १-४) इत्यवक्ष्यत् ; ‘न सत्तन्नासदुच्यते’
(भ. गी. १३-१२) इति स्मृतेः। *निर्बीजतयैव चेत्, सति प्रलीनानां सम्पन्नानां
सुषुप्तिप्रलययोः पुनरुत्थानानुपपत्तिः स्यात् ; मुक्तानां च
पुनरुत्पत्तिप्रसङ्गः, बीजाभावाविशेषात्*, ज्ञानदाह्यबीजाभावे च
ज्ञानानर्थक्यप्रसङ्गः ;
तस्मात्सबीजत्वाभ्युपगमेनैव सतः प्राणत्वव्यपदेशः, सर्वश्रुतिषु च
कारणत्वव्यपदेशः ।

The last couple of lines are to be considered very seriously.
1) If the merging in deep sleep/ pralaya is into निर्बीज/ निर्गुण ब्रह्म,
then there would be no getting up from them again (which has been mentioned
multiple times by many on this very thread).
2) More importantly, those liberated will be born again!!! This is the
ridiculousness that people will land into, contradicting all सिद्धान्त at
its very root, if deep sleep is without avidyA. That is, in the case that a
person merges into nirguNabrahma during deep sleep, then that state is
bereft of avidyA. So is the state of a liberated bereft of avidyA. There is
no difference between the two. Then, what guarantee is there that one will
not be born again when avidyA is gone? None. Since just like one wakes up
from deep sleep without avidyA, so can one do the same after liberation
without avidyA since there is no difference between the two at all! An
extremely serious logical flaw. Ergo, tarka also has to be studied under a
qualified Guru.

​gurupAdukAbhyAm
,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */