[Advaita-l] Sleep, tamas and brahman

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Tue May 1 07:33:04 EDT 2018

Namaste Kalyanji,

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 3:45 PM Kalyan <kalyan_kg at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Namaste Sri Praveenji
>
> I have already provided quotes and references to show that there is no
> ignorance in deep sleep. Apparently, I have not been able to convince you.
> So let us agree to disagree here.

​
Pending answers to the questions asked by others, just bhAShya quotations
cannot be convincing, since there is scope for misunderstanding or
completely understanding the same. Nonetheless, I will drop the discussion
if you're not interested after quoting the TIkA under the very  bhAShya
under Br. Up. 4.3.31 where you think Bhashyakara has raised the question
and not answered it. In fact, He has raised the question as the mantra
itself answers it! TIkAkAra explains the answer so:

किमस्य विशेषविज्ञानराहित्यं स्वरूपं किं वा विशेषविज्ञानवत्त्वम्। *आद्ये
जाग्रत्स्वप्नयोरनुपपत्तिः।* द्वितीये सुषुप्तेरसिद्धिरिति भावः।
प्रतीचश्चिन्मात्रज्योतिषो विशेषविज्ञानराहित्यमेव स्वरूपं *तथापि
स्वाविद्याकल्पितविशेषविज्ञानत्वमाश्रित्यावस्थाद्वयं सिध्यति*
इत्युत्तरवाक्यमवलम्ब्योत्तरमाह--उच्यत इत्यादिना।

So what is to be understood as that the vikShepashakti of avidyA is shAnta
but the AvaraNa is very much there. Both are very much there, the former
unmanifest and the latter manifest.
​
gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */
​