[Advaita-l] Sleep, tamas and brahman

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue May 1 04:59:33 EDT 2018

Namaste Sri Sreenivasa,
Do you agree that the multiplicity seen in the world is because of
ignorance or not? If you do not, then the multiplicity is real and advaita
is untenable. Thus, it must be out of ignorance that multiplicity is seen.

Do you have anubhava of multiplicity in deep sleep? If you do, then what
you are considering deep sleep is not what I am referring to. Thus, the
deep sleep is a state where one experiences nothing. Thus, if you agree
avidyA is the cause of multiplicity, and there is no multiplicity
experienced in deep sleep, either a) there must be no avidyA in deep sleep,
or b) the faculties of experience are subdued or c) there is no
multiplicity because avidyA's ability to project multiplicity is subdued.

That is the inference that one must draw if one considers the problem
logically.

Your question: "Who is the entity that is present in sushupti to witness
that condition of avidya? Is it a fact of life which can be verified by one
and all?", while a useful one, is not pertinent to this discussion. That
the Atma is the witness of all three states is accepted by me too. You are
free to bring it up, but to clarify, no one is denying it.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 8:12 AM, sreenivasa murthy via Advaita-l <