[Advaita-l] Interesting tidbits in the Vishnu Sahasranama

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 05:39:30 EDT 2018

Here are some more interesting points to note:

There is the name 'Soma' in the VSN where Shankara, alternatively,
comments:   'the one with Umā' (Umapathi).

In the Mahabharatha, just before the Shiva Sahasra Nama is taught by
Krishna, Bhishma addresses the latter to recite the 1000 names of Shiva,
the Vishvarupa. While addressing so, Bhishma uses one epithet:
suraa-sura-guru (the Guru of devas and asuras).  In the list of names that
follows from the mouth of Krishna is there the name 'devaasuraguruh', which
means the same as  suraa-sura-guru.  Thus we have Veda Vyasa giving the
same name to Vishnu and Shiva.

https://sanskritdocuments.org/mirrors/mahabharata/unic/mbh13_sa.html

   भीष्म उवाच||

   *सुरासुरगुरो* देव विष्णो त्वं वक्तुमर्हसि | शिवाय विश्वरूपाय यन्मां
   पृच्छद्युधिष्ठिरः ||२||

In the Shiva sahasra nama:

   वासुदेव उवाच||

   देवासुरविनिर्माता देवासुरपरायणः | *देवासुरगुरुर्दे*वो देवासुरनमस्कृतः
   ||१४१||

 One can see many names that are common to both Shiva and Vishnu.  Even the
name Vishnu is there in the SSN:

   धन्वन्तरिर्धूमकेतुः स्कन्दो वैश्रवणस्तथा | धाता शक्रश्च *विष्णु*श्च
   मित्रस्त्वष्टा ध्रुवो धरः ||१०१||

regards
subrahmanian.v

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 7:22 AM, S Jayanarayanan via Advaita-l <