[Advaita-l] Question about Avaccheda vada

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 03:02:06 EDT 2018

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 12:29 AM, Aditya Kumar via Advaita-l <

> Just wanted to add this. More often than not, the argument goes like
> Sringeri Shankaracharya has said this, another Shankaracharya said this and
> hence it must be the ultimate truth. Is this really an objective approach
> towards studying anything?

It should be borne in mind that Shankara, in his bhashyas, has given great
importance for 'shishTAchAra'. This he does following the Taittiriya
Upanishad injunction that one must follow the ways/opinions of the
shishTas.  Hence, in such matters it is best to follow that. One may
eternally debate the authenticity of the Valmiki Ramayana, the
Mahabharatha, other texts, puranas, etc. What is important here is that the
shishTas have followed not historiians but their parampara. That is pramana
for them and not the historian's approval or otherwise.

regards
subbu