[Advaita-l] Fwd: Re: "VEDA IS NO MORE veda "

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 13:42:30 EST 2018

On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 2:48 PM, Venkatraghavan S via Advaita-l <

> Namaste,
>
> On 6 Mar 2018 08:44, "Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l" <
>

> On another note I was wondering how the dvaitins deal with the advaitic
> example that the GYAna vRtti which takes place within vyavahAra which is
> mithyA, can still lead to prabodha or removal of avidyA, by giving the
> example of a dream tiger causing a man to wake up i.e., leading to a change
> in the order of reality. That person who wakes up might say that even the
> tiger which woke him up is actually just an a-tiger, i.e., not really a
> tiger. (a la 'vedah becomes avedah')
>

> In the nyAyAmrita this is done by saying that it is not the dream object
> that causes the person to wake up (ie produce a real result), but the jnAna
> of the dream object, which is as real as the outcome (person waking up).

Dear Venkat ji,

In Advaita too, it is the knowledge (of the dream tiger) that results in
the person waking up.  For it is the vyaaghra-buddhi produced by the
sighting of the vyaaghra that instantly produces fear and he wakes up.
Upon waking up, the baadha of the erroneous buddhi/fear happens.  I base
this on the Bhashya: 2.1.14 BSB  अतश्चेदं शास्त्रीयं
ब्रह्मात्मत्वमवगम्यमानं स्वाभाविकस्य शारीरात्मत्वस्य *बाधकं
*सम्पद्यते, *रज्ज्वादिबुद्धय
इव **सर्पादिबुद्धीनाम्* ; *बाधिते *च शारीरात्मत्वे तदाश्रयः समस्तः
स्वाभाविको व्यवहारो बाधितो भवति,   It is the right 'buddhi' that dispels
the erroneous 'buddhi'.  So, in the bhrama too, it is not the snake per se
that causes fear, etc. but the snake-buddhi,
snake-perception/cognition/imagination that causes the effects.  Thus, when
the Veda is the 'tiger' in the dream, it is the Veda-produced jnana (like
tiger-induced knowledge/fear) that produces the awakening to the Truth
while the Veda and the jnana it produced belong to the vyavaharika.  In our
case, the veda-buddhi, since it gets baadhita, is not real.

Some years ago, in a private exchange with a Dvaitin I had to say the
above, citing the above bhashya passage to clarify that it is one buddhi
that dispels another buddhi.

Your response is welcome.

warm regards
subbu