[Advaita-l] A profound Advaitic crisp expression by Shankara

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Wed Jun 20 04:31:13 EDT 2018

praNAms
Hare Krishna

Whenever there is a matching of thoughts with regard to siddhAnta, I would love to spread out  those thoughts.  Yes, it is indeed profound advaitic siddhAnta which we normally forget when there is a zeal to prove jaganmithyatva and jnAni's rAga dvesha which are due to avidyA lesha.

what may, appear as his diligent continuance, just as before, in those rites and duties for setting an example before people ...

>  Yad yadAcharati shreshTaH ...lOkastadanu vartate...lOka saMgraha, lOka kalyANa etc. might be the reason for us to see the jnAni's action and it 'appears' that he is engaging himself in the karma but in reality he is akarta and abhOkta it is because of the simple reason : dehavAniva lakshyate.  The bhAshyakAra clarifies this in the 4th chapter yadruccha lAbha saNtushtO....krutvApi na nibadhyate by saying lOkavyavahAra sAmAnyadarshanena tu loukikaihi ArOpita kartrutve bhikshAtanAdau karmaNi kartA bhavati, svAnubhAvena tu shAstra pramANa janitena akartaiva.  So, we may see, jnAni's anger, jnAni's passion, jnAni's special attachment to something but it is all in the eyes of loukika-s he is neither karta nor bhOkta and he is krutakrutya.

Thus, the above short crisp statement of Shankara is very effective for contemplation. It comprises of Tat and Tvam pada viveka and aikya. It encompasses enquiry of jiva, jagat and jagadishvara and comes out with the tattva of all three: Brahman. Jiva is Brahman, jagat is Brahman and Ishwara is Brahman.

> jeeva, jagat, Ishwara = brahman nothing else!! does it mean brahman has svagata bheda like jeeva, jagat Ishwara ?? na ....ring, bangle, necklace do not have separate existence (svatantra astitva) apart from gold but gold in itself does not have this nAma rUpa vaividhya.  Ananyatvepi kAryakAraNayOH kAryasya kAraNAtmatvaM ' na tu kAraNasya kAryAtmatvaM'.  sarvaM cha nAmarUpAdi sadAtmanaiva satyaM vikArajAtaM svatastu anrutameva.  Sri SSS somewhere says in Kannada : jagattannu svatantravaada jagattende gurutisidaaga adu jaggattina bagge iruva mithyaajnaana, aa mithyAjnAnadalliruva jneyavastuvanne mithyaa jagattendu heLiruttade.  E mithyAjagattu vaastavavaagi eratakkaddalla adu kevala avidye inda untaada kevala kalpita prapancha.  Aadare brahmave aagiruva jagattige ee mithyatvada sOnku antuvudilla adu vyaktAvyakta rUpadalliddaru, svarUpataH brahmave aagiruttade.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar