[Advaita-l] Previous Kali Yugas in Shastras?

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 21:33:10 EDT 2018

Namaste

It strains credulity to claim that every chaturyoga cycle has the same
events repeated in a loop over and over again . The comparison of pralaya
with suShupti is indicative of a fact. Just as we might say, we wake up
every morning and brush and bathe and do the sandhyA, exercise  etc, that
does not mean the exact same scenes are enacted every morning. It's only a
broad  template that's repeated . Similarly every 4 yoga cycle would have
the usual battles between the forces of dharma and adharma etc.. Where the
puraana talks of repetition of the stories in different Yuga's,  it's only
to inculcate alam-buddhi (enough is enough) towards this world of names and
forms and enquire in to the root cause of suffering instead of looking for
palliatives.

 Besides even kakabhusundi in brihad yoga vashishtha says that ramayana has
different outcomes in different cycles. It's not exactly identical
everytime.

The basic laws governing the universe at the physical and subtle levels
remain same in every cycle , otherwise the law of karma would get negated
and continuity of karma phala and samskaras across the cycles would be not
maintained , and this is contrary to shruti. Except for such a basic common
apitu across Yugas and kalpas, all else is not a mere repetition.

Om

On Wed 13 Jun, 2018, 11:41 AM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l, <