[Advaita-l] Fwd: {भारतीयविद्वत्परिषत्} Any early citation of the Yogavasishtha?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 22:34:58 EDT 2018

Namaste

In the commentary of Shankarananda (12 -13 CE) for the Paramahamsopanishat,
we see a citation of the Yogavasishtha, by name

In the works of Vidyaranya (admitted to be a disciple of the above author)
we find the YogavasishTha cited profusely.  To my knowledge Shankarananda
is the earliest one to cite from this text.  Has anyone seen this text
cited by an author earlier to this one?

The reason for my search is that there are people who think that this work
is a much later one and early Advaitins have not cited it.  Vidyaranya
refers to the author of this text as 'Valmiki'.  It is also known as
VasishTha Ramayanam, Jnana VasishTham, etc.  Surely the above are not
Acharyas who would accept as pramana a text that is not authentic, that has
come down in the sampradaya from earlier Acharyas.

Thanks and regards
subrahmanian.v