[Advaita-l] Is Badarayana same as Vyasa?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 21:08:53 EDT 2018

> What about other purvacharyas and other sampradayas like
> Baudhayana(Visistadvaita)? Are they equally valid?
> Obviously not for advaitins. That is why one falls back on
> padavakyapramanatah.

Regarding Baudhayana, there is no certainty of his identity.  Vedanta
Desika is said to have identified him with Upavarsha, an Acharya considered
by Shankara as a Vedantin, Advaitin, 'Bhagavan Upavarshah'.  Also, the text
said to be of Baudhayana, a vritti on Brahmasutras, was not available to
anyone except Ramanuja.  My take is: if Shankara had seen that text, he
would have interpreted it in accordance to Vedanta, advaita.

regards
subbu