[Advaita-l] Doubt the liberator

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 10:25:22 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 7:08 PM, Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Kalyanji,
>
> Just a thought or two...
>
> On Mon 23 Jul, 2018, 15:18 Kalyan via Advaita-l, <
>
> > I sometimes wonder if geniuses like madhusUdhana or vyAsatIrtha had
> > followed the path of innovation rather than carrying the burden of
> > tradition, then India would have had its own Newton or Galileo.
>

> How do we know the above two traditionalists are geniuses!
>
> Wouldn't Newtonians, etc, be carrying the weight of their own traditions by
> the same token?

There is a famous quote of Newton:
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/268025.html

// If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of
Giants." //   and here is a complete quote that elucidates what Newton
meant:

Salisbury:  "We are like dwarfs sitting on the shoulders of giants. We see
more, and things that are more distant, than they did, not because our
sight is superior or because we are taller than they, but because they
raise us up, and by their great stature add to ours."