[Advaita-l] In Advaita alone the jiva is not jaDa

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 21 09:08:16 EDT 2018

PraNAms
Jeeva is not jaDa in VishiShTaadvata too. They have two categories -chit and achit -conscious and unconscious entities. Under Chit - Jeeva and parameswara come and achit is the world. Parameswara pervades both jeeva and jagat as antaryaamin. Iswara is also the supreme controller. avidya of jeeva involves not knowing this fact and not knowing that jeeva cannot operate without the support of Iswara - that does not mean he is jada. avidya of jeeva is also beginningless but can end when jeeva recognizes the above facts and surrenders to the Lord -maam evaye prapadyante maayaam etaam tarantitE-is very much emphasized where maam stands of Lord Narayana and eva is emphasized as He is the only one (His avataaras included as Him only) who can give moksha. Lakshmi helps the jeeva in preparing jeeva for moksha like mother prepares and dresses after cleaning all the dirt and presents the child to the father. Hence 'Shree' becomes very important in Shree Vaishnavism.
Hari Om!Sadananda

   On Saturday, July 21, 2018, 3:58:21 AM EDT, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

 On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 12:10 PM, Ravi Kiran <ravikiranm108 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 11:14 PM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <
>
>> In Advaita alone the jiva is not jaDa
>> [That alone you realize as Brahman which is called Vishnu, the immutable
>> supreme.  That is the controller of the devas and others and there is none
>> other higher than that.]
>>
>> We see that Madhva specifies that the impeller is the controller of the
>> jiva.  We get the impression that the jiva is impelled, like the inert
>> mind, prana, sense organs, etc. That means the jiva in such a construct is
>> not something that is completely divested of the not-self, anatma, that is
>>

> Interesting .. how would one explain, atma vidyA/jnAna in such a case ?

For them since the jiva continues as jiva in mukti also, but without the
body-mind complex of the samsaric state, there is a svarupa deha which has
sense organs etc. that are required to engage in bhoga.  Their jiva size is
also atomic, anu. For more details one has to read their books.