[Advaita-l] Is Badarayana same as Vyasa?

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 02:54:36 EDT 2018

Namaste Subbuji
Thank you for the interesting reference about the 8 fold brahmana division.
It quotes the Ashvalayana grihya sutra third adhyaya 3rd kanDikA (3.3.1 to
3.3.3) where the itihAsa purANas are regarded as part of the Vedas (they
are not the usual itihASa and purANa) and these Vedic itihAsa-purANa are
actually used i.e., chanted while offering oblations in to agni. The
ramAyaNa and bhArata are as far as I know not chanted while offering
oblation in to agni. So there is a strong mImAmsa basis for interpreting
itihAsa purANa in the Vedic way in the case of the Br.Up.2.4.10 ,  rather
than in the usual way of itihAsa denoting the rAmAyaNa etc.

AshvalAyana gihya sutra (3.3.1 to 3.3.3)
1. He then should recite for himself (the following texts, viz.) the Rikas,
the Yajus,
the Sāmans, the Atharvan and Aṅgiras hymns, the Brāhmanas, the Kalpa
(Sūtras), the
Gāthās, the (texts in honour of kings and heroes, called) Nārāsamsīs, the
Itihāsas and
Purānas.
2. In that he recites the Rikas, he thereby satiates the gods with
oblations of milk — in
that (he recites) the Yajus, with oblations of ghee — the Sāmans, with
oblations of
honey — the Atharvan and Aṅgiras hymns, with oblations of Soma — the
Brāhmanas, Kalpas, Gāthās, Nārāsamsīs, Itihāsas and Purānas, with oblations
of
ambrosia.
3. In that he recites the Rikas, rivers of milk flow, as a funeral
oblation, to his
Ancestors. In that (he recites) the Yajus, rivers of ghee — the Sāmans,
rivers of honey
— the Atharvan and Aṅgiras hymns, rivers of Soma — the Brāhmanas, Kalpas,
Gāthās, Nārāsamsīs, Itihāsas and Purānas, rivers of ambrosia.

Om

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 12:34 AM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <