[Advaita-l] Regarding the Pancharatra, Shankara is one with Purvamimamsa

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 23:25:45 EDT 2018

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 8:04 AM, Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> Are you suggesting that the philosophical position of gItA and MB is
> theistic sAMkhya (of yoga sUtra fame) where Ishvara's is just a puruSha
> visheSha rather than jagatkAraNam? Surely even the mUla shlokas like
> क्षेत्रज्ञं चापि मां विद्धि सर्वक्षेत्रषु भारत puts the MB outside the pale
> of the theistic sAMkhya for which puruSha nAnAtvaM is axiomatic.
>
>  The whole point is that philosophically the MB and BS are very close if
> not identical (as demonstrated  by Shankara). That greatly weakens the case
> for saying that bAdarAyaNa and vyAsa are different. To say that the 2
> personalities  are different on the ground that the *word* sAmkhya is
> favorably used in gItA and not so in sUtras, is not convincing.

The whole confusion arises because one is not conversant with the term
'Sankhya' as used in the shaastra.  I had already pointed out in this
thread that sankhya as a doctrine that is opposed to Vedanta is of a
certain Kapila muni that holds pradhana, inert, as the jagatkaranam.  This
view is refuted by the BS.  All three schools are one in this.  Sankhya as
Vedanta, Shankara gives the etymological meaning too for the word in the
BGB, is valid Vedanta, the doctrine of the BG and which is what is approved
in the MB too.

The non-vedantic sankhya does not accept Ishwara.  They say they can manage
bandha-moksha without Ishwara, like purva mimamsa.  Patanjala Yoga doctrine
has accepted the entire sankhya metaphysics with the sole difference of
accepting an Ishwara.  Hence alone the latter came to be termed 'seshvara
sankhya' and the former 'nirishvara sankhya'.  The Vedanta, sankhya is
completely different from these. For Sakankara this sankhya is
characterized by the Sole Advaitic Atman and is what is espoused by the
MB.  He cites verses from there for this. The BS is the advocate of this
doctrine and opposes all other schools that do not subscribe to this, as
per Shankara.

regards