[Advaita-l] Is Badarayana same as Vyasa?

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 22:23:21 EDT 2018

Namaste Sadaji,

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 4:35 PM kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l <

> The question that no one has addressed is - Do the Brahmasutras refute
> Buddhistic philosophies or not? If so, what is the data of the Brahmasutras
> and do we bring the Bhagavan vyaasa's period to post Buddha?

The academic approach would indeed be as to what the content seems to be
refuting and thereby some dating. In sampradAya, however, we do not take
such thinking into account, as other possibilities do exist:
i) the creation is continuous and its repetitive across kalpAs. So one can
have Buddhism, etc, from previous kalpa refuted!
ii) it can be forward-referencing, considering that Vedas are not limited
by time and so too, shAstras based on them, seen/ heard by krAntadarshi
kavis and Rishis.

How else would there be Chandogya Shruti like तद्धैक आहुरसदेवेदमग्र
आसीदेकमेवाद्वितीयं तस्मादसतः सज्जायत ! Bhashyakara considered such as
refutation of Vainashikas, Buddhists being just one among them. Similar is
the understanding when historical figures appear in Vedas, such as Rama and
Hanuman in Muktikopanishad.
​
gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */ ​