[Advaita-l] Taattvika Abheda and vyavaharika bheda in Dvaita and Advaita

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 22:28:51 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:32 PM, Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> Next thing is
> Are the forms of the Lord of the same order of Reality as the svarUpam of
> the Lord ?
>
> We have Sri Krishna Bhagavan saying बहूनि मे व्यतीतानि जन्मानि etc. The
> forms are not frozen in time , they are changeable and non eternal. Any
> form that is noneternal cannot be of the same sattA (order of Reality) as
> the svarUpam which is the Truth pervading all these forms of the Lord. So
> if we use the word satyaM for the svarUpa which is formless and eternal ,
> we cannot use the same word satya for any given form of the Lord, the form
> being noneternal.

There is a point in the above.  There cannot be a 'niyata rupa' for
Brahman.  All rupas are 'taken, assumed' by Brahman for specific purposes.
Also, a rupa is an attribute of tejas dravya, like taste is of jala, sound
is of akasha. Rupa requires the chakshurindriya to be perceived. If Brahman
has a niyata rupa, the bhoutika chakshus will be required to perceive it.
But the Upanishad says: na sandrishe tishTati ruupamasya, na chakshushaa
pasyati kashchanainam' (kathopanishat).  'There is no rupam for Brahman and
none can see it.'  And goes on to say: through the mind, unsullied by
external things, one can comprehend Brahman.'  So, Brahman is a vishaya for
the manovritti and not chakshurindriya gocharam like ghaTa paTaadi.  Nor is
Vishvarupa a mandate by the shastra for moksha. It is an aid for upasana
that Brahman is everything.  Also there is no proof for an 'apraakrita
niyata ruupa for Brahman' for the concept of form, color is an attribute of
prakriti alone and nothing else. That is why all forms like Narasimha,
Rama, etc. were chakshurindriya gochara forms.

vs