[Advaita-l] Is Badarayana same as Vyasa?

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 04:38:53 EDT 2018

Namaste Sri Bhaskar Ji,

Reg  << So, in short, no problem in calling bAdarAyaNa as vyAsa but not in
certainity we can assert that krishna dvaipAyana vyAsa or bhArata kara
vyAsa and sUtrakAra bAdarAyaNa are one and the same.>>,

I don’t think that is what Sri SSS has said. While dismissing the surmises
of the western scholars, this is exactly what he has dismissed. From what I
understand of Sri SSS, what he has said is that while there is no mention
of the identity as between Sri Badarayana and Sri Vyasa in the Bhashya
itself, based on the reference in Upadesha Sahasri there can be no
objection to concluding that, according to Sri Bhagavatpada, they (krishna
dvaipAyana vyAsa or bhArata kara vyAsa and sUtrakAra bAdarAyaNa )  are one
and the same. This is my reading of the text by Sri SSS.

Regards