[Advaita-l] Swami Nischalananda Saraswathi replies to ISKCON's claims of Advaita being a Mayavadi

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 21:45:27 EDT 2018

Srinath ji,

What you have said below is forgetting that Advaita holds that shakti as
mithya; not having an existence of its own. So, Brahman is always
nirvishesha.  The Shakti is assumed by Vedanta solely for the purpose of
explaining the perceived duality, samsara, bandha, moksha.  It is a case of
'adhyaropa' by the shaastra.  Its apavada is also done by the shastra
itself.  So, when it is said 'shakti sahita' , that shakti is superimposed
by the shastra on Brahman. When it is said 'mayaa adhyakshena prakriti
suuyate...', the 'adhyakshatva' is passive presence of Brahman as mere
consciousness and no active role is admitted in advaita. 'svabhaavastu
pravartate.'   Brahman is incapable of doing anything for the Upanishad
teaches it has no prana, no manas, no body, etc. It is solely dependent on
that prakriti for creation, etc. All the ananta kalyana gunas assumed in
Brahman are a contribution of that shakti.  This can be inferred from the
fact that not a single of that ananta gunas is unrelated to either jagat or
jiva. Thus, all the ananta gunas in Brahman are jagat-jiva dependent and
not a single guna can be shown exclusively of Brahman.

 Amritabindu Upanishad:

 न निरोधो न चोत्पत्तिर्न बद्धो न च साधकः ।
 न मुमुक्षुर्न वै मुक्त इत्येषा परमार्थता ॥॥   cited by Gaudapada in the
Mandukya Karika.

There is no creation, no dissolution, none bound, no aspirant, none
liberated. This is the absolute truth.

regards
vs

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 12:48 AM, Srinath Vedagarbha via Advaita-l <