[Advaita-l] 'iti' in the vAcArambhaNa shruti

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 12:11:15 EST 2018

The bhAshya of Gita 2.16 connects very well with the TaittirIya bhAShya
quoted.

विकारो हि सः, विकारश्च व्यभिचरति । यथा घटादिसंस्थानं चक्षुषा निरूप्यमाणं
मृद्व्यतिरेकेणानुपलब्धेरसत् , तथा सर्वो विकारः कारणव्यतिरेकेणानुपलब्धेरसन्
 । जन्मप्रध्वंसाभ्यां प्रागूर्ध्वं च अनुपलब्धेः कार्यस्य घटादेः मृदादि
कारणस्य च तत्कारणव्यतिरेकेणानुपलब्धेरसत्त्वम् ॥तदसत्त्वे सर्वाभावप्रसङ्ग इति
 चेत् , न ; सर्वत्र बुद्धिद्वयोपलब्धेः, सद्बुद्धिरसद्बुद्धिरिति । यद्विषया
बुद्धिर्न व्यभिचरति, तत् सत् ; यद्विषया व्यभिचरति, तदसत् ;
In my view, this mantra has quite far reaching implications. The root of
several concepts within advaita can be traced to this source.
Each word in the mantra (and in one case, a particular word's omission) is
pregnant in meaning - for example, the upaniShad says यथा मृत्पिण्डेन to
illustrate its' point, but in arriving at the conclusion it says मृत्तिका
इति एव सत्यं. That is, shruti uses the piNDa in the illustration but in
drawing its conclusion, the shruti carefully omits piNDa and only says
 मृत्तिका
इति एव सत्यं.
Why? Because only the form-endowed-cause (AkAra vishiShTa kAraNa) is
available for perception. To explain something subtle, we use an
illustration that is commonly known. A lump of clay is well known, whereas
clay without any form is not available for perception. Thus the veda uses
something commonly known, to reveal an unknown conclusion. In the
conclusion, by omitting to mention piNDa in मृत्तिका इति एव सत्यं, the
shruti is implying that the only real knowledge (eva satyam) of any
substance, is the knowledge of that substance devoid of name and form
(mrittikA iti). Thus the right knowledge of any effect is only as its
cause, or - only the cause is real.
As each cause in turn, is an effect, it too is unreal independent of its
cause. Ultimately this is traced to sat, which is the ultimate cause,
leading to the conclusion that all this - every name and form in this world
is unreal independent of the primary cause, sat - ऐतदात्म्यमिदꣳ सर्वं
तत्सत्यꣳ स आत्मा.
Regards,
Venkatraghavan