[Advaita-l] shrAddha for the departed soul

Shashwata Shastri shashwata.unimas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 03:34:27 EST 2018

Pranams,
Why is Shraddha necessary?
Every race,natives or group of ethnicity or aboriginals have their own
different ways to pay respect to their forefathers.
The commandment of Sruti is beyond question. Why do we perform rites
related to our manes? Because the laws state so (The highest authority-
Shabda Pramana). Though Shraddha is a smarta ritual (Since by the proof of
smriti, we can assume the existence of unheard sruti- Per kulluka Bhatta),
on the other hand, we are bound to do it. The Laukika necessity can be
ascribed as followed-
'Without the continuation of  manes right memory of our forefathers will
fade away slowly. As sadAchara is obtained from the tradition of our
forefathers, if we tend to disregard our ancestors surely we will lose our
respect,admiration for them. Practice makes it clear concise and it passes
the ritual through generations after generations, thus the memory of
sadachara continues. Performing the act of reverence solidifies our
traditions, makes it intact (Our forefathers are not just the body itself,
they are embodiment of what they lived like). The act of paying homage is
like penance. AvyAsa of sraddha (Respect for the  transcendental, which
later flourishes as Jigyasa, resulting astikya). Forgetting our forefathers
will cause our sadachara to disappear, which will lead to identity
extinction.'

The above excerpt is a bit blurred. I will clarify it more on my next
participation.

Best Regards,
Shashwata Chowdhury

Shashwata Chowdhury

On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 7:03 AM, Bhaskar YR via Advaita-l <