[Advaita-l] MB Subramanian - Guidance for students who have missed out Sandhyavandanam

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Dec 19 19:39:14 EST 2018

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018, Manas Bharadwaaj via Advaita-l wrote:

> It is indeed a misfortune and sin to omit to Sandhyavandanam. There are a
> lot of college students who are devotedly doing Sandhyavandanam with
> meaning and Sahasra Gayatri for the past year. However, they have not been
> able to do so earlier, and this has been due to carelessness and not
> knowing its value, as they say. They are more than willing to do the
> prayaschitta for that, however, they do not know what is the right thing to
> do. If any of the members well versed in Dharma Shastras can give them
> guidance, they will be blessed and will do that with utmost vigor. I'll
> also pass your sage advice on to them.

Manas, I have deep sympathy for you as I was once in the same situation.
The main thing is that the practice of Sandhyavandana has commenced. This
leads to purification of mind and eventual fitness for jnana.  However the
non-performance of ones dharmic duty puts the brakes on spiritual
progress; this is why our sages have prescribed prayaschitta.  In my case,
my Guruji asked me to do one extra mala for every day I had missed.
Luckily for me this was not too long after my upanayana so I was able to
complete it after only a few years.  If many years have passed then it
will take longer of course.  I have also heard it said that doing the
purascharana of Gayatri mantra according to vidhi is also a remedy for
non-performance.  But I think in this matter you should get proper
guidance from your own Guru or local vidvans rather relying on random
advice from the net.