[Advaita-l] Question on adhyaasa

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:32:38 EST 2018

True, they are not attributes of brahman, they are brahman itself. The
error is in mistaking the substratum to be an attribute of the
superimposed.

The general rule is that for knowledge to remove ignorance, it should have
the same object as the ignorance. The ignorance which is the cause of
samsAra has brahman as its object, it does not objectify ignorance or its
products. Therefore, the cognition that is capable of removing that
ignorance (and thus samsAra) can only have brahman as its object, and not
ignorance or its products. Any cognition of the existence of the world has
both existence and the world (ie it has both brahman and the world, a
product of ignorance) as its object, and therefore, such a cognition cannot
remove the ignorance which is the cause of samsAra.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 5:00 AM Sean Geiger via Advaita-l <