[Advaita-l] Question on adhyaasa

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 04:31:57 EST 2018

Namaste Subbuji
Thank you. I think the term adhyAsa, when talking of the 'attributes' of
the Atma being 'adhyasta' on anAtma, is epistemological rather ontological.

That is, it is an adhyAsa of the nature of अन्यस्यान्यधर्मावभासता
/ अतस्मिंस्तद्बुद्धि: , and not तत्त्वान्यत्वाभ्यामनिर्वचनीयं. The former
requires the prior acceptance of two things (tat and atat), which are only
possible because of the latter. Both concepts are indicated by the same
term, adhyAsa, but we have to carefully analyse which is being used where.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan