[Advaita-l] Meaning and significance of mantra

kuntimaddi sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 26 09:29:40 EDT 2018

Chandramouliji - PraNAms
Thanks for the clear explanation. With your permission, I would like to post to the other list on facebook lists.
Hari Om!Sadananda

   On Sunday, August 26, 2018, 9:06:02 AM EDT, H S Chandramouli <hschandramouli at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 8:21 PM kuntimaddi sadananda via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

PraNAms to all
Wanted to know the meaning and significance of kamokaarsheet mantra.
It is supposed to be for prayaschittam.

Pranams.
<< कामोकार्षीन्  मन्युरकार्षीन्  नमो नमः >>
<< kAmokArShIn manyurakArShIn namo namaH >>

>From MahAnArAyaNa Upanishad, this is a japam meant for getting rid of kAma (desire) /manyu (anger),  and the  results (karma/phala) accruing due to actions done  due to them.  During our routine activities in life, we invariably commit a number of sins, voluntarily or involuntarily, which can be attributed to desire (kAma) and anger (manyu). And due to this we are bound by karma, their results. The japam reminds us to be wary of desire and anger, and be ever vigilant not to indulge in actions which have their roots in these, desire and anger. Through this japam,

<< kAmokArShIn manyurakArShIn namo namaH >>,

both these Desire (kAma) and Anger (manyu) are addressed as devatAs, and we  plead  that we may be spared from the results  of these actions  which have been done prodded  as we are by the devatAs, Desire (kAma) and Anger (manyu).

Elaboration << कामः करोति नाहम् करोमि कामः कर्ता नाहम् कर्ता कामः कारयिता नाहम् कारयिता एष ते काम कामाय स्वाहा >>

<< kAmaH karoti nAham karomi kAmaH kartA nAham kartA kAmaH kArayitA nAham kArayitA eSha te kAma kAmAya swAhA >>

<< Desire is doing the act, not I (Self). Desire is the agent of doing the act, not I. Desire causes the doer to act, not I. Oh  Desire, fascinating in form, I bow down to Thee in reverence >>

Similarly for manyuH  << मन्युः करोति नाहम् करोमि मन्युः कर्ता नाहम् कर्ता मन्युः कारयिता नाहम् कारयिता एष ते मन्यो मन्यवे स्वाहा >>

<< manyuH karoti nAham karomi manyuH kartA nAham kartA manyuH kArayitA nAham kArayitA eSha te manyo manyave swAhA >>.

<< Anger is doing the act, not I (Self).Anger is the agent of doing the act, not I. Anger causes the doer to act, not I. Oh Anger, fascinating in form, I bow down to Thee in reverence >>.
Regards