[Advaita-l] The 'Snake-and-ladder' game - The Spiritual path

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sat Aug 11 03:48:28 EDT 2018

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018, D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ via Advaita-l wrote:

> शब्दजालं महारण्यं चित्तभ्रमणकारणम्

Where did that come from.  Is it your original composition or did you
perhaps learn it from tradition.

> Using language in order to express something which is not subject of
> language and beyond language leads to problems.

Do you think you are first to consider that?  That's why we have shastra
to deal with those problems.

> As far as I am concerned  advaita is a matter of experience and not of
> discussion.

Anubhava has its own problems.  Once you spoke disparagingly of the kind
of Godmen that plague India these days.  What do you think will be the
result if "I feel that..." is the only standard.

And if you really believe that, why on earth are you on "Advaita-l -- A
DISCUSSION GROUP for Advaita Vedanta"?

> Tradition is huge bundle of trash which may contain a few truths.

The only reason you are able to distinguish the truth from the trash is
because of tradition.  Had your ancestors shared your sentiments D.V.N.
Khan would be pontificating on Sufi-L right now.

> It is not economical to process this trash for those few
> truths. If they are truths we will come across them anyway.

What a selfish and short-sighted way of thinking!  To come across
something first you have to understand what it is that you are looking
for.  You have to pick the right direction to look for it.  And as far as
we Advaitins go, we also have a profound debt of gratitude for the sadguru
parampara that made it possible for us seek truth.  And we feel a profound
obligation to make these truths available to future generations.

> I do not think any useful purpose is served by discussions about the
> utility of tradition.

Of course not.  The criminal rarely appreciates the policeman.