[Advaita-l] Suta Samhita in Sanskrit with Madhava Vidyanranya Commentary

Keshava Mahadeva keshava.mahadeva143 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 14:53:43 EDT 2018

Well said. Suta Samhita does talk about Upanishads just like Shiva Gita.

Almost all the main Upanishads like Jabala, Svetashvatara, Kaivalya, Brihat
Jabala, Chandogya, Talavakara (Kena), Brihadaranyaka, Mundaka, Aitareya,
etc. have been mentioned in Suta Samhita.

Bhasma Dharana is present in Suta Samhita, Shiva Gita, Ishwara Gita and
also in the Upanishads like Bhasma Jabala, Brihad Jabala, Jabali, Kalagni
Rudra Atharvasiras, etc.

Also if you had read the below link which I shared before, Shaivites have
identified places in the Upanishads where Bhasma Dharana is recommended.

http://shaivam.org/scripture/English-Articles/1379/vaidika-saiva-siddhanta

Coming to the Tamasic thing. In Suta Samhita Shiva Rahasya Khandam, it
talks of Shaiva Puranas are actually Shudda Sattwic and Vishnu Puranas are
Tamasic in nature and also goes on to state Shiva is the lord of Brahmanas.
Whoever want to attain the Nirguna Para Brahman, they have to offer prayers
to Shiva. Vishnu is the lord of Ksatriyas and Brahma is the lord of
Vaishyas. Below are the verses:

*dasha shaiva puraanaani saattvikaani vidur bhudhaah*
*sraddheyaani dvijavaraih teshaam dharmaastu tatra yat*

*sattvam shuddham samaadishtam sukha gnaanaaspadam tu yat*
*vidyopadeshtaa  yogibhyah shuddhaspatikasannibhah*

*na nidraati shivah kvaapi braahmanaadhi patih shivah*
*bruvantyevam puraanaani braahmanaanaam kathaah shubaah*

*dasha shaiva puraanaani himsaa doshaparaani cha*
*vaishnavaani cha chatvaari taamasaani munishvaraah*

*kshatriyanaam shrutaa dharmaah teshu tadhevataa harih*
*tamah krishnam udaasiinam kuutakrityavishaaradah*

*nidraalasya pramaadaadi panchadhaa syaattu taamasaah*
*nidraalasya pramaadaadyaah tad gunaah parikiirtitaah*

*krishno vishnuh smritah seshashaayi bhakti vimohakah*
*eteshu kshatriyanaam cha dharmaa vipraa udaahritaah*

*braahmee tu raajase vaishyadharmaih sarvatra sammatee*
*duhkaaspadam raktavarnam chancalam cha rajomatam*

*gunatrayasamaayuktam aagneyaam sauram eva cha*
*tasmaat shaivaani vipraanaam puraanaani hitaani vai*

Also in Suta Samhita Yagnya Vaibhava Khanda 25th Chapter, Lord Narayana
says to Satya Sandha:

*naaham samsaaramagnaanaam sakshat samsaara mochakaha*
*brahmaadidevataashchaanyaa naiva samsaara mochakaahaa*

*aham brahmaadidevaascha prasaadaat tasya shulinah*
*pranaadyaiva hi samsaaramochakaa naatra samshayaha*

*naamatashchaartha tashchaapi mahaadevo maheshvaraha*
*tadanye kevalam deva mahaadevaa na te anagha*

*mahaadevam vinaa yo maam bhajate shradhayaa sah*
*naasti tasya vinirmokshaha samsaraajjanma kotibhihi*

Lord Narayana says to Satya Sandha: I, Brahma and all the devas cannot
grant moksha. It is only Mahadeva who can grant Moksha. One who is my
devotee but who doesn't worship or chant the name of Maheshwara cannot
attain Mukti even after billions of births. Lord Shiva says the same thing
to Rama in Shiva Gita that after doing virtues for billions of births one
will get the knowledge of attaining Shiva Gati.

Also in Muktika Upanishad Lord Rama says he can grant only Salokya,
Samipya, Sarupya and Sayujya. But the real mukti is Kaivalya which can be
acquired by reading the Upanishads. And we do have an Upanishad called
"Kaivalya Upanishad" which is ultimately talking about Mahadeva
Chandrasekara.

achintyamavyaktamanantarUpaM shivaM prashAntamamR^itaM brahmayonim

umAsahAyaM parameshvaraM prabhuM trilochanaM nIlakaNThaM prashAntam
dhyAtvA munirgachChati bhUtayoniM samastasAkShiM tamasaH parastAt

chinmAtro.ahaM sadAshivaH

hiraNmayo.ahaM shivarUpamasmi

and finally it ends with saying one should chant Shata Rudram for getting
rid of all sins and attaining Moksha (tasmAd avimuktamAshrito bhavati).

Everybody including Brahma and Narayana claim that it is Mahadeva that is
the supreme. So the Bigoted people's claims need not be considered
seriously.