[Advaita-l] jnAnaM jnaptiH

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 22:19:06 EDT 2018

Namaste Durga Prasad ji

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 6:09 AM Durga Prasad Janaswamy via Advaita-l <

> तैत्तिरीयोपनिषद्भाष्यम्
> ब्रह्मानन्दवल्ली: प्रथमोऽनुवाकः
> भाष्यम्
> ज्ञानं ज्ञप्तिः अवबोधः, - भावसाधनो ज्ञानशब्दः
>
> Please give a very detailed explanation of the above statement.

ज्ञानम् of the mantra सत्यंज्ञानमनन्तं ब्रह्म = ज्ञप्तिः knowledge =अवबोधः
understanding, ज्ञानशब्दः the word knowledge is भावसाधनः  = has भावे
व्युत्पत्तिः = has शुद्धधात्वर्थः। It is derived in the sense of the meaning
of the verb-root ज्ञा itself. There is no additional meaning to the प्रत्यय
suffix ल्युट् (ज्ञा +ल्युट् =ज्ञा +अन)। The idea is that the word ज्ञानम्
knowledge is not in the sense of any of the कारक in which the suffix is
possible (अकर्तरि च कारके संज्ञायाम्)। Except for कर्ता agent of the
action, all कारक meanings are grammatically possible with the said suffix
and such a doubt is removed, since भावे verb-root meaning is also possible,
it is not an object of knowledge, the means of knowledge, etc, but the word
ज्ञानम् means to know or just knowing.

If you read the bhAShya further, even this idea is refuted, as I recall,
after the commentary on the word अनन्तम्। There is a brilliant objection to
this ज्ञप्तिः meaning as भावसाधनः as well, since the शुद्धधात्वर्थः of ज्ञा
has an expectancy of कर्म an object due to being a सकर्मकधातुः transitive
verb root. With such expectancy, there would be dependency of ब्रह्मात्मा
on something else, thereby making it limited or dual! Bhagavan Bhashyakara
agrees to this objection by answering that even with भावसाधन, ब्रह्मात्मा
is not the direct meaning of the word ज्ञानम्, but indirect. One has to do
लक्षणा of the word ज्ञानम् knowing to चित् consciousness, which has no
dependency on anything, but everything else depends on it.

gurupAdukAbhyAm
,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */