[Advaita-l] Pradosham date: April 2018, California

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 26 07:35:14 EDT 2018

https://www.datepanchang.com/Free_Services/Panchang.aspx
April 13 (Fri) & 26 (Thu)

https://www.drikpanchang.com/vrats/pradoshdates.html?geoname-id=5392171&year=2018
April 12 (Thu) & 26 (Thu)

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/readlearn/panchangam
April 13 (Fri) & 27 (Fri)

Among these panchangas, the third seems to be following a pradoSha
observance rule based on trayodashI tithi at sunrise rather than the tithi
prevalence at pradoSha kAla, i.e. about 2.5 hours after sunset. I am not
sure, though, why the drikpanchanga gives April 12 as
the pradoSha date.

To answer Shri Kartikji's and Shri Bhaskarji's question regarding the
variation among panchangas and the resulting confusion, doubt, etc., this
is where tradition and reputation of a panchanga plays a role. One needs to
follow a panchanga that has been traditionally
followed in one's family or by Astikas of the region or is a reputed
panchanga. And stop worrying about what other panchangas say about the
observance date. I know with certainty that the Date (pronounced dAte)
Panchang is reputed and followed in many parts of Maharashtra
and Karnataka. In fact, it has been followed at least since my
grandfather's time in those areas. Shri Bhaskarji may very well know that
in Bengaluru-Mysuru region, the oNTi-koppal Panchanga enjoys similar repute
and many people strictly follow it, without paying attention to
other panchangas.

It is also not correct to arbitrarily choose a date, since in matters of
dharma, any such alternatives would be specified clearly. In the absence of
such alternatives, it is better to not exercise our judgement against the
rule.

Anand