[Advaita-l] Sri Shankara Declares

Aditya Kumar kumaraditya22 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 04:57:17 EDT 2018

 Namaste Praveenji,
I hope you don't get angered by anything that I may write on the internet.

​ ​​This utility argument has been refuted in Mandukya karika by showing
that the comparison is improper just like apples with oranges. The waking
object is as useless to a dreamer in the dream as the dream object is
useless in waking for a waker! You can surely cook using dream vessel in
dream while even the cooked food in waking is useless to satiate dream
hunger, let alone the vessel. The waking gold of even an emperor has no
value to a dreamer experiencing himself as a beggar! Ergo, there is no
difference between the two. The utility argument is also dismissed by the
nailcutter example in the Chandogya 6th chapter mantra.
A : Please refer to my other email. An object by definition, needs to be perceived. Objects are only perceived by their respective senses. So there is no other object is a dream or sushupti save the mental vritti. That itself is a big difference between dream and jagrat. By valid means of knowledge, we understand the true nature of things. What could be the reason we study and do sadhana in jagrat and not swapna? A swapna state is not truly an objective world, it is just a mental modification. An objective world is perceptible and only jagrat qualifies as such.
I understand the non-utility of wealth obtained in the dreams when I wake up. Hence, to infer utility or non-utility, we require pratyaksha as pramana. Hence the pratyaksha pramana always serves our practical utility so that we don't get confused by remembering a dream and imagining it to be real.

The pramANatva of waking is also w.r.t. to waking which is equally true of
a dream during the dream.
A : So how can the study of Shastras eliminate the other two states? By your argument, it should only nullify samsara in waking state.
​
gurupAdukAbhyAm,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */ ​