[Advaita-l] Sri Shankara Declares

Aditya Kumar kumaraditya22 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 03:41:10 EDT 2018

 The main difference between a dream object and an object in waking state is that dream objects don't serve any practical utility. I can't cook with a dream vessel, can't use the gold obtained in dreams etc. Further, dream is not a pramana but the waking state world is pratyaksha pramana. Although pratyaksha is lesser pramana, it is still a pramana nonetheless. However dreams cannot be pramanas.
A mirage and an oasis are never the same. It need not be the same for Brahman to be ultimately real. The only pointer is that we can draw similarities between dream state and waking state. We only infer the other two states in waking state. Inference is again rooted in practical evidence. The only similarity between dream and waking state is the triad of experiencer,experienced and the experience. In sushupti this triad is absent.
    On Monday, 2 April, 2018, 12:48:22 PM IST, V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org>:

>  pranam sir.
> Thank you, sir,  such a brief explanation of the Avasthatraya vicar.  sir,
> here I have little doubt, can we compare these three to with the Satta
> trays or the three levels of reality.please suggest me?

Actually the satta traya is a different concept.  The three states,
avasthas, have between them a pratibhasika satta for dream and vyavaharika
satta for waking and sleep. However, all three have only a pratibhasika
satta, together, when related / compared to the Atman, the Supreme Reality,
paramarthika satya. When the three states are spoken of, we admit unreality
only for dream and not the other two states. This is because the dream
state is rendered unreal when waking occurs. On the other hand, the sleep
state and waking state do not become unreal when dream occurs.

However, in order to show that all three states are unreal, that is they do
not subsist when another state occurs, it is said that the three states
mutually negate/cancel out each other. When waking occurs, dream and sleep
are not there, when dream is there, the other two are not there and when
sleep persists, the other two are not there. This way all three states
undergo cancellation/negation/annulment.  But the Atman persists unannuled
in all three fleeting states. Hence there is paramarthika satta for Atman
alone and the three states enjoy either vyavaharika or pratibhasika satta
depending on the way/standpoint one adopts.

vs