[Advaita-l] Chanting Gayatri overseas

Santosh Rao itswhateva at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 20:45:26 EDT 2017

Thanks for the responses,

Yes Jaldhar, that was the exact term he used - Karmabhoomi...I had
mentioned to him that I was looking for someone to teach me how to perform
sandhyavandanam properly since I do not have any elders or family members
to consult about these things, but he said that that only India is
Karmabhoomi, it isn't advised to perform those duties or chant Gayatri in
"Mleccha-bhoomi."

He also said that since I was born in NY I would have to have my upanayanam
re-done in India, even though I had it done (in India) when I was 15 years
old.

I have been performing my fathers shraddha rites for past 2 years since he
passed. He said that I should perform those in India only.

I understand these are one persons opinions, but he is very knowledgeable
overall and I ask him questions from time to time and he always has
satisfying answers. I would ask them hear to get wider responses, but not
all of my questions are focused on Advaita Vedanta so I don't want to get
off-topic and annoy other members.

Namaskara,

Santosh

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 8:11 PM, Shashi via Advaita-l <