[Advaita-l] vedAntins at the time of shankara

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 12:11:25 EDT 2017

​​Namaste,

>From our own list webpage:
http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/avhp/pre-sankara.html

To be sure, there were also pre-Sankaran representatives of non-advaita
vedAnta traditions, many of whom seem to have been *bhedAbheda-vAdins* of
one kind or the other - proponents of a doctrine of identity-in-difference.
Chief among them are the names of auDulomi, Asmarathya (both mentioned in
the brahmasUtras), bhartRprapanca, brahmadatta, bhartRmitra and bodhAyana.
//Unquote

With that in the background, what is important​ to note though is that just
as Bhashyakara dismisses the non-Vedanta traditions as they end in duality,
he also dismisses some Advaita-ending schools of thought since jnAnena
muktiH is compromised in them. samucchaya- or upAsana-prApyamuktiH is
anityA and so, siddAntaviruddhaH.

However, jnAnena avidyAnivRttiH and thereby advaitamuktiH is not
compromised by any sub-commentators of bhAShya, and therefore, they are
mere prakriyAbhedas and not tattvabhedas. This fact cannot be stressed
enough.

​gurupAdukAbhyAm
,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */